When it comes to computer work, many people can agree that it is not the easiest thing in the world. Some other people think that office work is easy and it does not require much effort. However, in my experience, that is not true. Yes, you do not have to make a lot of physical effort, but there are many other injuries that you can sustain. Most of them are caused by sitting in a chair all day long.
Moreover, aside from your back, a person who spends a lot of time in front of the computer can suffer neck, shoulders, and even hands pain. Have you ever heard of carpal tunnel syndrome? It is a chronic impingement of the median nerve which runs through your forearm to your palm, and it is caused by doing the same movement every single day. And not only that, there is a lot of strain involved. Lucky for all of us who use the computer most of the day, science came with a few solutions to make our lives easier. One of them is the vertical mouse.
The benefits of a vertical mouse
I do not think I have to tell you what a vertical mouse is. Chances are you have already seen one and know what it looks like. What you may not know is its real impact on your body. That is why I put together a list of benefits to show you why a vertical mouse is a small price to pay for your well-being.
- Rest position – one of the things that affect your arm is the position you keep it in while working with the mouse. I am not going to go technical, but what you need to know is that the position you have on a horizontal mouse is not natural. The vertical mouse, on the other hand, will keep your arm in a resting position. That translates to little muscle use so that you are more relaxed than before. There is no strain you need to worry about.
- Wrist relaxation – the vertical mouse will help you relax your wrist because there will be no compression of the soft tissue. Since there is no compression, there is no long term trauma. Simple as that.
- Shoulder relaxation – apart from your wrist, a vertical mouse will improve the posture of your shoulders. Naturally, your shoulders should be in an externally rotated position, but a horizontal mouse will keep them in an internally rotated position, which is bad.
- Comfort – since the wrist will be positioned in a comfortable neutral position, you will find that using a vertical mouse is much more convenient than a horizontal You will not be using your wrist to move the mouse, but the larger muscles in your arm. In fact, you will move the mouse with a pivot movement from the elbow, which leaves your wrist free of any effort.
Just like any other item you have around the house, there are a few disadvantages as well. From my standpoint, it is nothing serious, but I feel that I have to disclose them anyway. Here are the most notable.
- Learning curve – a vertical mouse may take a while to get used to. It is adifferent movement, you are going to feel the mouse differently, so you are going to have some trouble handling it at first. I guess you heard of muscle memory, but that will be useless in this case.
- You may not like it – a lot of people are veryexcited about purchasing a vertical mouse, but they end up hating it. It is entirely understandable. A lot of people go through that. If you do not like it, you can look for another ergonomic mouse. As long as you get rid of the mouse that causes you pain, you should be fine.
- Not all vertical mice are well made – some manufacturers do not produce vertical mice having quality in mind. Some of them may look amazing, but when you use them, you notice that they are poorly made. Just make sure to be aware of what exactly you are buying.
How to choose the best vertical mouse?
Since you are interested in buying a vertical mouse, the next milestone is choosing the best one. It may seem easy, but if you do not pay attention, you may fail. That is why I am going to teach you how to buy the best vertical mouse you can afford.
- Establish a budget – you know how it is with electronics. They go from a few bucks to a few hundreds. They may look the same, but they are not. The point is to establish a maximum price and take it from there. Trust me, you can find a high-quality vertical mouse in almost any price range.
- Size – that aspect is very important. If the vertical mouse is too big or too small, your experience will not be satisfactory. And as we all know, not all hands are the same size, so make sure to check the measurements before you push the ‘order’ button.
- Ergonomics – what is the point of buying a vertical mouse if it is not ergonomic? Your hand must be as comfortable as possible, which is why you need to make sure that ‘ergonomic’ is in the title. Also, check the lines of the mouse you want to purchase and see if they are natural.
- Cord vs. cordless – this is according to preferences. Most people go with the cord because they hate changing batteries. However, I find that the cordless vertical mouse is much more convenient. And if you do go cordless, make sure that the mouse has a battery saving feature. You do not want to change batteries everyday.
- Functionality – since you are going to spend some money, you have to expect the best specifications your budget can allow. Check the optical tracking and the resolution.
- Palm rest – not all vertical mice have a palm rest, but if you find it useful and you have trouble with your peripheral circulation, I recommend that you purchase a vertical mouse with a palm rest. You will be more comfortable.
- Additional features – I am not going to say what buttons you should have on your mouse. This is according to preferences. However, a scroll button is very useful no matter what kind of mouse you buy. Also, I find that next/previous button is very useful when you go online.
What are the best vertical mice?
Now that you have all the information let’s go to the part where you choose the model you like. You can go and do your own search, but if you do not want to make an effort, I found three vertical mice that have all the characteristics above and more. Also, they are in a low price range.
Anker 2.4G Wireless Vertical Ergonomic Optical Mouse
This is one of the cheapest vertical mice you will find, but the quality is amazing. I was surprised to see that you can buy this for only 20 dollars. And the online reviews are excellent. It has an ergonomic design that promotes a healthy natural wrist and arm position. Your motion is smoother, and the strain is close to nothing. After all, that is everything you look in a vertical mouse, is it not?
No matter what your screen resolution is, this model will easily adapt to 800/1200/1600 DPI. The technology used by Anker provides amazing sensitivity, which is, in fact, better than any regular optical mouse. The pointer will move smoothly, and the surface on which you place the mouse does not matter. As long as it is smooth, this device provides precise tracking.
There are other features that I am sure you will like. For example, apart from the regular mouse buttons, you also get next and previous buttons. That will make browsing through pages more convenient. Also, since the mouse is wireless, there is a power saving mode that will prolong the lifespan of the batteries. If the mouse is idle for 8 minutes, it will automatically shut off. Press any button to wake it. The mouse is designed for right-handed people, it weighs 95 grams, and it measures 115 x 58 x 87 mm. The two AAA batteries are not included. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Sharkk Wireless 2.4G High Precision Vertical Mouse
This model is similar to the previous. Even the price is close, but you get pretty much the same features and quality. The Sharkk mouse was designed to reduce tension in your wrist and will help you with a natural arm position. That way your arm will not get tired, and you will be free from pain. Keep in mind, though, that this mouse is also designed for right-handed people. If you are left-handed, you need to look for another model.
The DPI of this mouse is fully adjustable (800/1200/1600,) which allows you to change the sensitivity of the mouse pointer. That comes in handy when you are photo editing or when you are browsing. Each of those activities requires a different level of sensitivity. There are no issues with compatibility. This mouse works with Mac OS X, Linux, and every version of Microsoft Windows. You do not have to install a driver since the device is plug&play.
Other features include an auto-sleep function that can prolong the life of the batteries. Just like the previous model, if the mouse is idle for a few minutes, it will automatically turn off. Just move it or press a button to wake it up. You can also enjoy next/previous buttons that are located on the side of the mouse. The mouse measures 8.6 x 4.3 x 4.7 inches, and it weighs 158 grams. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Evoluent Vertical Mouse
The vertical mouse from Evoluent is something more advanced than the previous two models. So if you have more money to spend, this is your vertical mouse. It costs almost five times more than the first two, but in my opinion, it is worth the investment. The Evoluent mouse wasdesigned to spare you of forearm twisting. It promotes comfort and healthy posture. The shape is patented, and it will keep your hand in the most natural position possible. That makes it amazingly comfortable.
This mouse is meant for people who have a regular size hand, but the added features will make your hand feel like it is resting. There is an improved thumb rest that will prevent your thumb from touching the desk. There are also two thumb buttons that have excellent functionality, but only if you install the provided driver. The extra wide lip that surrounds the bottom edge will prevent your last finger from rubbing the desk, which makes your entire hand safe from any strain.
The Evoluent model has an adjustable optional sensor that will allow you to control the pointer speed without even letting go of the mouse, and the LED indicators will indicate the selected speed. There is extra low, low, medium, and high. The only thing that I do not like about this model is that it is wired. However, it still has a sleep mode to preserve laptop battery, which I think is a nice touch. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
I was inclined to go with Evoluent, but I dislike cables, which is why I will go with the Anker 2.4G Wireless Vertical Ergonomic Optical Mouse instead. It is one of the best vertical mice I have seen in this price range, and it has enough features for most of the consumers. Surely you can appreciate it as well.
When you spend a lot of time in front of the computer, comfort is very important. You know that you need a chair to provide lumbar support and that you need to adopt a good posture, but hands are equally important. So take care of them, and start with getting a vertical mouse. It is convenient, not expensive, and it will save your hands some pain. One of the three models above will do just fine, but feel free to explore other options if you like. Click here to buy on Amazon
- Details of Best Wireless Mouse
- What Everyone Is Saying About Bluetooth Mouse Is Wrong and Why
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Computer Mouse
- Magical Solutions to Vertical Mouse Discovered
- Unanswered Questions About Mouse Wireless
- If You Read Nothing Else Today, Read This Report on Ergonomic Mouse
- Wireless Mouse Guide
- The New Angle On Best Logitech Mouse Just Released
- Want to Know More About Cheap Gaming Mouse?
- Ergonomic Computer Mouse – Overview
- The Debate Over Wireless Mouse Price
- Ergonomic Wireless Mouse – What Is It?
- Mouse for Laptop Secrets That No One Else Knows About
- What’s Truly Going on with Best Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
- Understanding Carpal Tunnel Mouse
- The Fundamentals of Buy Wireless Mouse Revealed
- Introducing Rechargeable Wireless Mouse
- Wireless Mouse Reviews – What Is It?
- What You Don’t Know About Best Wired Mouse Could Be Costing to More Than You Think
- Outrageous Cheap Wireless Mouse Tips
- Wireless Computer Mouse Ideas
- Ruthless Pc Mouse Strategies Exploited
- Cordless Mouse Features
- A Neutral Perspective on Best Mouse for Mac
- Shocking Information About Vertical Mouse Review Exposed
- The Downside Risk of Laptop Mouse That No One Is Talking About
- One Easy Tip About Wireless Mouse for Laptop Explained
- Unusual Article Uncovers the Deceptive Practices of Best Wireless Gaming Mouse
- The Number One Question You Must Ask for Best Computer Mouse
- The Upside to Best Bluetooth Mouse
- Top Choices of Best Ergonomic Mouse
- The Lost Secret of Evoluent Mouse
- Evoluent Vertical Mouse 4 – the Conspriracy
- Finding the Best Evoluent Vertical Mouse
- Why Everybody Is Mistaken About Best Mouse